In India, cricket is celebrated like a festival. People take special leave from their work to watch intense matches between various countries especially when India is playing. Even the Indian Premier League (IPL) enjoys a huge viewership of millions every year. India celebrates success and wins of all country teams equally.
Not only the matches, birthdays of sportspeople from various countries are liked in our country. Shoaib Akhtar, born on August 13 in 1975 was one of the most destructive fast bowlers during his playing days.
Known for his erratic and rebel nature Shoaib has troubled even best of the batsmen with his yorkers and bouncers.
Here are some facts about him on his birthday.
1. Shoaib Akhtar who represented Pakistan in 46 Tests and 163 ODIs made his Test debut against West Indies in 1997 on his home ground at Rawalpindi. In March following year he was handed ODI debut against Zimbabwe at Harare.
2. Akhtar picked his first five-wicket haul against South Africa in February 1998.
3. Akhtar picked his 100th wicket against Bangladesh in 2003.
4. He had to undergo Knee and ankle surgeries throughout his career as his long run-up was taking a toll on his body.
5. Shoaib Akhtar set an official world record by achieving the fastest delivery, of 161.3 km/h (100.2 mph) against England in 2003 World Cup.
6. Akhtar played for four county teams — Somerset (2001), Durham (2003, 2004), Worcestershire (2005) and Surrey (2008).
7. Akhtar’s best bowling spell in ODIs came against New Zealand in 2002 in Karachi where he picked six for 16.
8. During the 2011 World Cup Shoaib Akhtar announced his retirement from all forms of cricket and last played for Pakistan against New Zealand in that World Cup. Akhtar ended his career with 178 Test wickets and 247 ODI wickets.
We wish the fast bowler, Shoaib Akhtar a very happy birthday. Stay tuned to Laughing Colours for the latest sports news and updates.